What is it?
Bracing is simply creating stiffness and rigidity from the shoulders down to the hips (aka your core).
When you are trying to move objects (or even your body), and you can’t create this stiffness, bad things happen.
- You put unnecessary loads on the spine which is obviously not good. You need this stuff to be strong since its home to the spinal cord…it's kinda important.
- You force other parts of the body to compensate for the lack of stiffness in the core (knees, shoulders, elbow, hips, etc - basically, these areas try to create stiffness through bad positions that don’t feel good but allow you to lift the weight)
- Your joints hurt. Lifting like this sucks because you’re in pain all the time.
- You can’t lift very much weight. And lifting more weight over a long period of time is the key to sustainable fat loss.
So how can you can brace?
- Very simple. Start with breathing in (nose, mouth - doesn’t matter at this point) and pushing your stomach out as much as possible.
- Hold that breath and keep pressing the stomach out.
- Do the lift.
- Reset the breath.
- Become legendary.
All this is extremely important if you want to take advantage of the benefits of powerlifting for fat loss. You have to learn how to brace properly.
If you know someone who needs help with their bracing, share this page!