EXERCISE OF THE WEEK: SPLIT SQUATS!
What: The split squat is a one leg movement to develop the lower body health and strength.
Why: Single leg exercises build tremendous strength in the entire body and will help fix imbalances without you having to think. Not only will you be able to get rid of aches and pains, but you'll build muscle that will keep you burning fat all the time.
It's also a great way to train the lower body if the squat doesn't feel good. We don't want to force our bodies to fit into exercises. We want to pick exercises that fit our bodies.
1. Get a comfortable split stance.
2. Shift your weight over your front foot.
3. Fold at the hips slightly.
4. As you descend, keep your weight over your front foot.
5. Use your back leg to help as needed.
6. Keep the entire motion smooth and controlled. Make it look pretty.
7. Do not let the upper body or hips shift or jerkily move.
8. Get gains and spread smiles :)
This is one that I use when I can't get to the gym and I want to get my legs going.
If you take longer to get to the ground, you can increase the difficulty of the exercise. I'll take up to 5 seconds per rep.
Here's one of my go to workouts:
The Guava Single Leg Special (4-6 rounds)
30 seconds of joint circles
8 slow split squats on each leg